Chloe looks very suspicious
- In episode 1, she was like the first one there at the crime scene - murderers always return to the crime scene.
- In episode 2, she lied about where the cocaine came from - saying she ‘got it’ from Becca, when Becca was only giving it back to her in the first place. Since she was hiding the cash under Danny’s bed, his death might be drug-related if she’s the culprit.
- In episode 5, there was something about the way she desperately tried to peg the crime on Jack and jumped on the first opportunity to dig up dirt on Jack that makes it seem like she’s trying to get this over and done with ASAP.
- She has a weak alibi. Danny died very late at night, but as Ellie said in episode 1, Chloe and Beth’s alibis were that they were “watching TV together”. She could’ve gone out after Beth went to bed.
- In episode 5, after Chloe fights with Mark, it also feels like she has serious issues with her parents, and Danny might’ve been the “symbol” of that. The way she emphasized how Beth got pregnant young, and how her and Dean were being more responsible, it’s like she thinks her parents view her as a mistake birth.
- At the beginning of episode 1, you see her trying to get their attention by claiming to be “sick” in the first episode. Perhaps she’s “sick” because she murdered her little brother last night?
Other possible suspects
- Tom: Tom is either doing his own investigating or he seriously had something to do with Danny’s death, cause like, …asking questions about how long a murderer would go away for, really? The other telling thing is how when DI Tennant came over for dinner, he kinda sat on the stairs as if he had something to say, but was contemplating whether he really wanted to say it or not.
- Susan/Elaine: She has Danny’s skateboard and has some fishy business with Nige. Her cigarette buds being found on the beach in episode 5 might implicate her since she’s always smoking. However, Broadchurch has been doing a “find a clue/evidence that implicates someone else” one episode, then “clear their name” the next episode. If the cigarette buds belong to her, and Tom comes over to her house (and “accidentally” finds Danny’s skateboard), she will likely have her name cleared by episode 6-7 based on how things have been going.
- Nige: Nige’s name has actually already been cleared because he was home with his mom the night of Danny’s death, but he seems to be anxious about covering up whatever previous thing he had going with Susan. It might be related to Danny, or it could just be something that they don’t want to get out now that people are sniffing around and asking questions (similar to how Mark didn’t want people to find out he was doing Becca).
- Dean: By extension of Chloe, if Danny’s death had anything to do with their fun happy drug time, then Dean would also be involved.
Rory: As mentioned before, Broadchurch tends to follow a style of “get evidence and implicate someone” during one episode, then reveal that “but they didn’t actually do it” the next episode. There has been very little spotlight on Rory, but Tennant keeps saying that he’s suspicious. Maybe he really is? On the other hand, maybe “priests doing little boys” jokes are too outdated.